Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Recommendations for ECA Board Candidates

My recommendations for ECA Board Candidates:

JUDI BARTH incumbent ECA Board Member

AL MULLER incumbent ECA Board Member

SETH LEVINE


The annual meeting of the Elizabeth Condominium Association takes place on Wednesday May 5, 2010. Registration begins at 7 pm in the West Lobby. A quorum of 51 percent is needed before the meeting can begin.

Owners need to attend the meeting or take their proxies to the lockbox in the management office no later 5 pm than May 4, 2010.

I am endorsing three of the six candidates running. I invite the other three candidates to address the two major concerns I have:

--Ability to work cooperatively with other ECA Board members to fulfill the fiduciary responsibilities of this Association.

--Priority for attending to failing components at the Elizabeth including windows & doors and McQuay heating/cooling units.


Why I am voting for Barth, Muller, Levine:

Judi Barth’s extensive work on behalf of the ECA speaks for itself. During her tenure as an ECA Board member, she has done more than anyone currently on the Board to improve the quality of life at the Elizabeth and to get us the best services at the best price. This includes landing a contract with a renovations designer who has an impeccable reputation and who has bent over backwards to keep us within our small budget for renovations this year. Besides bringing people together in the building (I have to admit I have met more people in this building in the last 2 years because of Judi’s social committee activities than all the 30 plus years I have lived here), Judi has handled many sensitive tasks that involve money (she has served as the Assistant Treasurer of the Board) and personnel. She supported the change from in-house management to professional management and that has proven to be a notable improvement in the way our building is run as well as many cost-saving opportunities. She has been a team player and often a voice of reason in the monthly board meetings.

Al Muller has done much to improve the way ECA Board meetings are conducted (he suggested making Management summaries available before the public meeting) and has been a good team player who knows Robert’s Rules of Order. He has made security improvements happen throughout the building. He was instrumental in supporting the change from in-house management to professional management. As a member of the Friendship Height Village Council, he has kept us aware of projects and activities in the neighborhood.

Both Judi Barth and Al Muller can be counted on to address problems brought to them from unit owners. They have both worked behind the scenes on many occasions to address issues of concern.

Seth Levine is relatively new in the Association but he is someone who owns an apartment and leases space in the Arcade. He has experience in mediating issues between discordant coworkers. He also works in the area of real estate and understand the issues we are faced with here in our ageing building. I personally think it is time that younger members of the Association be represented on our Board.

I would also like to note that I do not consider Hongbin Liu a serious candidate since she did not provide much information about her qualifications or where she stands on issues facing the building.

No comments: