Sunday, January 22, 2012

Hall Renovations: A Letter to the ECA Board

The follow letter was sent January 18, 2012, to the ECA Board from long-time resident Phyllis Bodin.
Subject: Re: Hall renovations

From the meeting last Sunday I surmise that hall  renovations are imminent.  Before that happens I'd like to let you know how I feel about renovations.  
  

I've lived at the Elizabeth since December of 1975, so I've been  through this before, but never with so much wanton waste and excess.   I didn't go to meetings or give imput to the lobby remake, so I didn't  feel I could criticize.  But before the board repeats the same  ridiculous excesses, I've decided to speak up.

1.  You don't have to accept every overpriced lamp, cushion,  mirror, vase, flower arrangement, bowl, table, bar, picture,  butterfly--you get the idea-- that the interior decorator suggests or  demands!  Please question her choices before you give her carte  blanche.

2.  If some furniture--the chairs and tables in the halls, for  example--are still in good shape, find new carpeting that blends in and  reuse them.

3.  Don't get a rug pattern that has to be woven especially for  us.  Special orders are always more expensive. Find  an industrial-strength carpet that is easier to install.

4.  Along with carpets that will last, choose funiture that will  last.  The chairs on my floor look better after twenty years than the  new ones across from the elevators in the lobby.  How  dare our decorator choose such shoddy material! Please examine and  question her choices before accepting everything she tells you we should  have.  As someone pointed out last night--we aren't a Mariott and  don't want to be!

I haven't even mentioned the condo fees which continue to go up  and will probably price many good, quiet, older neighbors out of  our community.   I understand that you want to present a  good front to potential buyers, but you should also think about the people  living here right now.

Thanks for listening to me.

Sincerely,

Phyllis Bodin
#1713


P.S. One suggestion:  Put a couple of waterproof benches on the first  floor near the pool elevator.  That way swimmers can sit while  waiting for the elevator and we won't need a sign telling them not to sit  on the table

No comments: